Spaghetti with Olives and Capers – Spaghetti alla Vesuviana is an old Neapolitan recipe that is a lovely main dish but also a side dish. It is very easy to prep and easier to cook. A meal you will remember. The beautiful blend of spaghetti with the salty olives and sweet tomatoes compliment each other.
Spaghetti with Olives and Capers – Spaghetti alla Vesuviana
- 1 lb spaghetti 450 g
- 3 tbsp olive oil 45 ml
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 2 cups canned tomatoes chopped, 500 ml
- 12 fresh green olives pitted and chopped
- 12 fresh Kalamata olives pitted and chopped
- 2 tbsp capers 30 ml
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp oregano chopped fresh, 5 ml
- salt to taste
- ground pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over moderate heat and saute the garlic and red pepper flakes for about 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, salt, and pepper and cook uncovered until most of the liquid has evaporated, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add the olives, capers, and oregano and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the cooked pasta to the skillet and toss to combine. `
- You can use thin noodles instead of spaghetti if you wish. Cook according to the packet instructions.