Vegetable Chow Mein is a perfect filling vegetarian recipe. Nothing but goodness from the Chinese Orient. I use 9 vegetables in this recipes but you can adapt to suit your own tastes. This recipe makes a clean dish that it loved as a main dish and as a side dish.
Vegetable Chow Mein
- 200 g dry egg noodles
- 1 tsp Chinese five-spice heaped
- 3 tsp rapeseed oil
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 1 large tomato finely chopped
- 100 g baby corn halved
- 90 g baby pak choi remove the leaves from heart
- 1 medium red pepper sliced
- 3 in spring onion sliced
- 125 g shiitake mushrooms sliced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 120 g beansprouts
- 2 tsp light soy sauce
- Cook the noodles according to the packet instructions.
- Drain in a colander, rinse in cold water to stop them cooking and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan, add the onion and red pepper and stir-fry for about 3 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, garlic and chilli flakes, if using, and stir for another minute.
- Add the baby corn, spring onions, Chinese five-spice powder and pak choy and continue stirring for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and the noodles and mix well for 1-2 minutes until the noodles are hot.
- Mix in the beansprouts and soy sauce, cook for another minute and serve.