Apple, Leek, and Sweet Potato Gratin is an adaption of a French classic. The addition of apple and leeks add tremendous flavour. However, changing normal potato for sweet potato is a stroke of genius. The soft delicate flesh of the potato with the sweetness of the apple and leeks makes this a lovely side dish.
Apple, Leek, and Sweet Potato Gratin
- Combine the cream, leeks, thyme, salt, pepper, and nutmeg in a saucepan and bring to a boil over moderate heat, stirring occasionally.
- Add the sweet potatoes and simmer covered 10 minutes.
- Layer half the sweet potato mixture in a buttered baking dish.
- Top with the sliced apple.
- Repeat with sweet potato mixture and cheese.
- Bake uncovered in a preheated 375F (190C) oven for about 45 minutes, until bubbling and golden brown.