Banana Bread is one of those tasty recipes that you will cook again and again. Using the slow cooker in this recipes provides you with the time to do other things. Adding the walnuts to the Banana mixture gives a lovely additional texture to the bread. The walnuts compliment the bread. This is a mixture the grandchildren love to help me make this. Served with Peanut Butter, fresh pears or even just slightly salted butter. You can of course just eat it on its own with a mug of coffee. Whichever way you choose is going to be good. Make sure you serve it warm.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. With the electric beater on low, fluff the shortening in a small bowl, until soft and creamy.
- Add the sugar gradually. Beat in the eggs in a slow stream. With a fork, beat in 1/3 of the flour mixture, 1/2 the bananas another 1/3 of the flour mixture, the rest of the bananas then the last of the flour mixture. Fold in the walnuts.
- Turn into a greased and floured baking unit or a 2 1/2 quart mold and cover. P
- lace on a rack in the slow cooker. Cover the cooker, but prop the lid open with a toothpick or a twist of foil to let the excess steam excape.
- Cook on high for 4 to 6 hours. Cool on a rack for 10 minutes. Serve Warm.