Bell Peppers with Brown Rice Stuffing is a simple American dish that adds body, flavour and texture. Using bell peppers, onion and garlic with brown rice is lovely. Also when you add the herbs, it goes up a level. This can be served as a main dish and a side dish with success. However being a vegetarian dish makes this dish good in several ways.
Bell Peppers with Brown Rice Stuffing
- Slice the tops from the peppers to form lids. Scoop out the seeds and membranes.
- Place the peppers in a greased casserole.
- Sauté the onion and garlic in the oil over low heat until the onion is soft and golden.
- Add the rice and half the tomato juice, along with the bay leaf, thyme & parsley. Cover & simmer for 40 minutes.
- Discard the bay leaf, thyme and parsley. Mix in the nuts & add salt and pepper.
- Fill the green peppers with the sautéed mixture. Replace the tops.
- Pour the remaining tomato juice around the peppers.
- Bake at 350F for about 35 minutes