Bitterballen - Dutch Meatball Hors d'Oeuvre
- 4 tbsp butter 60 ml
- 1/2 lb ground beef 250 g, or veal
- 1/4 cup carrot 60 ml, diced
- 1/2 cup onion 60 ml, finely chopped
- 1 cup beef broth 250 ml, or milk
- 1 tbsp lemon juice 15 ml, fresh
- 2 tbsp parsley 20 ml, finely chopped
- 5 tbsp all-purpose flour 75 ml
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs 125 ml
- 1 tsp egg beaten with 1(5 ml) water
- 1 grate fresh nutmeg
- oil deep frying
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- Heat one tablespoon of the butter in a large skillet over moderate heat and cook the meat, carrots, and onions until the meat is browned and the carrots are tender.
- Drain the meat in a colander, then place in a mixing bowl.
- Add the salt, pepper, nutmeg, lemon juice, and parsley and stir to combine.
- Set the meat mixture aside.
- Heat the remaining 3 tablespoons (45 ml) of butter in a saucepan over moderate heat and stir in the flour to make a roux.
- Cook this for 2 to 3 minutes, then add the beef broth or milk.
- Continue heating, stirring constantly, until the sauce boils and becomes quite thick.
- Combine the sauce with the meat mixture, stirring to combine them thoroughly, and chill this mixture for at least two hours in the refrigerator, until it has become solid.
- When the mixture has solidified, roll it into balls about 1 inches (2.5 cm) in diameter, using your hands.
- Roll the balls in the bread crumbs, then in the egg and water mixture, then in the bread crumbs again.
- Fry a few at a time in a deep fryer with at least 2 inches (5 cm) of oil at 375F (190C) until golden (about 2 to 3 minutes).
- Drain on paper towels and serve immediately.