Calamari with Citrus Mayonnaise is such a superb dish that is both easy to prepare and so tasty. Your guests will be asking for more every time. The hit of paprika or cayenne in the coating gives a subtle warmth while the citrus mayonnaise packs the lemon punch. All round a gorgeous dish that is ideal as a starter or appertizer/canape.
Calamari with Citrus Mayonnaise
- I usually purchase a cheats method of prepared calamari but if you prefer fresh then your fishmonger can prepare them for you.
- Put the squid rings into a bowl and add the milk.
- Remove the rings from the ,milk and shake off the excess.
- In a separate dish, combine the paprika and cayenne pepper with the flour and mix well.
- Dip the calamari into the mixture so that they are lightly covered.
- In a large frying pan, add the vegetable oil and heat to 160–170ºC/ 325ºF.
- As a guide, I use enough oil for each piece of the calamari to cook in with space from the next piece. About 4 inches is good in my 8inch pan.
- Naturally, if you have a deep fat fryer then even better and the oil can be used again.
- Carefully place the calamari in the fat in batch so not to pack the pan.
- Deep fry the calamari until lovely and golden brown.
- Whilst they are cooking, spoon the mayonnaise into a serving dish and add the lemon juice. Stir in well.
- When all of the calamari is cooked, serve immediately with the mayonnaise dip for a satisfying and tasty dish.