A Ham and Cheese Omelette is one of the easiest ways of turning three eggs into a main dish. The addition of Ham and Cheese adds more filling and texture to the dish. There are many ingredient that can be used as a filling in an omelette. This range from Cheddar or Gruyere cheese, sour cream, diced ham, crispy bacon, sautéed mushrooms, bell peppers or tomatoes, caramelized onions, fresh herbs or even leftovers from last night’s dinner. You can then have folded or open omelettes. The choice of filling and whether opened or closed is yours to make. There are so many options, you just have to try a few and mix and match.
Ham and Cheese Omelette
- Gently beat the eggs together in a mixing bowl and season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
- Heat the butter in a frying pan until foaming. Pour in the eggs and cook for a few seconds, until the bottom of the omelette is lightly set.
- Push the set parts of the omelette into the uncooked centre of the omelette.
- Cook again, until the omelette has set further, then push those set parts into the centre of the omelette again.
- Repeat the process until the eggs have just set but the omelette is still soft in the centre.
- Put the cheese and three-quarters of the ham with the spinach in the centre of the omelette and cook until the cheese has melted.
- Increase the heat to high and cook the omelette for a further 30 seconds, or until it browns on the bottom.
- Fold the omelette in half, then remove the pan from the heat and tilt it slightly to move the omelette to the edge of the pan.
- Slide the omelette onto a serving plate, then shape it into a neat roll.
- Sprinkle over the remaining ham.