Calves’ Liver Venetian Style – Fegato alla Veneziana is such a lovely warming main dish on a cold evening. The aroma fills the house and invites everybody to eat. A meal for 4 people is ready within 30 minutes and that include 25 for the onions!! The recipe only has 3 ingredients, Calves Liver, Olive oil and Onions. However the result of combining them is amazing. I usually serve this dish with mashed potato. The mash may not be an Italian recipe but the work so well together. This dish goes so well together and makes a change from the normal Sausage and Onion Gravy.
Calves’ Liver Venetian Style – Fegato alla Veneziana
- Trim the liver of any membranes and veins.
- Cut into match stick size pieces about 1/4 inch (5 mm) wide and 1 inch (2.5 cm) long.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over moderate heat and sauté the onions for 20 to 25 minutes, until limp and slightly browned.
- Remove the onions to a plate, leaving as much oil in the skillet as possible.
- Turn the heat to high and sauté the liver for 3 to 4 minutes, just until it loses its pink colour.
- Add the onions and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately.