Everybody has had a dish from their childhood for when the family descended. Chicken Breasts with Chive Creamy Sauce was mine. The soft moist chicken covered in a creamy sauce served with boiled potatoes or a bed of rice made this a good memory. Since I starter cooking this recipe, it has become a favourite of my children and now my grandchildren. On a cold day, this fills the house with a warming aroma that I swear puts people in a good mood. Add some lovely Bravo Green Beans or Braised Peas with Prosciutto. The Braised peas may be a strange option but peas go well with the sauce and other veg and the prosciutto is perfect with chicken.
Chicken Breasts with Chive Creamy Sauce
- Place chicken between sheets of plastic wrap and pound with a meat mallet or heavy skillet until flattened to an even thickness, about 1/2 inch.
- Season both sides of the chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Place 1/4 cup flour in a shallow glass baking dish and dredge the chicken in it.
- Discard the excess flour. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until golden brown. Transfer to a plate, cover and keep warm.
- Heat the remaining 1 teaspoon oil in the pan over medium-high heat. Add shallots and cook, stirring constantly and scraping up any browned bits, until golden brown.
- Sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon flour; stir to coat. Add wine, broth and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and bring to a boil, stirring often.
- Pan fry the mushrooms until soft and golden brown and add to the chicken.
- Return the chicken and any meat juices to the pan, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook until heated through and no longer pink in the centre.
- Stir in sour cream and mustard until smooth; turn the chicken to coat with the sauce.
- Stir in chives and serve immediately.