A simple Chicken Potpie in a Bowl is an American classic dish. They are baked in individual bowls so you can bake the number you need and never have any waste. This is a dish that my grandchildren love to help me make. They cut out the pastry and make a big mess but it is a lot of fun. This is a main dish recipe that fills even the heartiest of appetites. The soft tender chicken cooking in a silky smooth sauce including evaporated milk, vegetables and Chicken Broth is always a success. This is one meal that is often requested in my house. It takes no time at all but is always a success.
Chicken Pot Pie in a Bowl
- 1 9 inch pie shell pastry
- 2 cups evaporated milk
- 2 Tbs butter
- 3 cups mixed vegetables thawed and drained
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups cooked chicken diced
- 1 1/2 tsp rosemary chopped
- 1 tsp chicken bouillon mix
- 1/4 tsp dried tarragon
- 1/4 tsp salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Using cookie cutters, cut out pastry into shapes; brush lightly with evaporated milk and place on foil-lined baking sheet. Bake in oven for 15 minutes or until browned.
- In a heavy saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat; cook mixed vegetables, stirring often, for 2 to 3 minutes or until softened. Add broth.
- In a small bowl, gradually stir 1 cup evaporated milk into flour until smooth; stir into broth.
- Add chicken, rosemary, chicken bouillon mix and tarragon; cook, stirring, over medium heat until just boiling and thickened.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon into serving bowls; top each with baked pastry cutouts.