Classic Onion Rings are one of those recipes that I cant help but make time after time. They are amazingly simple to deep fry and very quick to cook but even quicker to eat. Served as a side dish and as a snack it doesn’t matter. The American recipe is perfect.
Classic Onion Rings
- Turn on the deep fat fryer and heat the oil to 365F/185C.
- Slice the onions into rings.
- Separate the rings into individual pieces.
- Add the flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl and thoroughly mix.
- Carefully add the onion rings to the flour, baking powder and salt mixture making sure each fully coated.
- Now add the milk and egg to the mixture and beat fully until it becomes a smooth batter.
- Dip the floured onion rings to the batter and place to one side.
- Pour the breadcrumbs onto a large plate.
- Again dip the onion rings into the breadcrumbs making sure they are fully coated.
- Shake lightly to remove any loose breadcrumbs. Continue with the remaining onion rings.
- Carefully add the crumbed onion rings to the hot oil a few at a time and fry until lovely and golden.
- When cooked, transfer to a paper towel to drain any excess.
- Add the salt to taste.
- Serve immediately either as a side dish or as a snack.