Never enjoyed breakfasts until I tried Ma’s Pancakes. Ma was my best mates mum and our neighbour. She cooked these for us one Sunday brunch and that was it. HOOKED. They can be topped with so many ingredients, you could experiment for years and not have two meals the same. Whether it be Maple Syrup, Sugar, Plain Greek yogurt (or crème fraiche) and fresh berries or Almond, peanut, or cashew butter, and sliced banana. Not to forget the fruit options, fresh chopped peaches, honey, and chia seeds or pumpkin seeds. full-fat coconut milk, chopped mango, chopped walnuts. The list does quite simply go on and on.
Pancakes – Ma’s
- Sift together the flour, salt, baking powder and sugar.
- Make a well in the centre. Pour in the milk, then add the egg and melted butter.
- Beat well till the pancake batter is smooth.
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat. Lightly grease with butter or vegetable oil.
- To test to see if the pan is hot enough, flick a bit of water on the pan. If it sizzles, it is ready.
- Ladle the pancake batter into the pan.
- Cook each pancake till bubbles appear on the surface and the edges have gone slightly dry.
- Flip each pancake and cook for a minute or two on the reverse side, till golden brown.
- Serve hot with your favourite toppings.