Homemade Bread Sauce is a typical sauce served with roast Turkey and Chicken at Christmas and Thanksgiving etc. Whilst a British dish in origin, it has been copied and adjusted in many countries especially America. Served as a side dish, it can be served both warm and cold and can be made in advance.
Homemade Bread Sauce
- Remove the crusts and rip the remaining bread into cubes of 2 cm..
- You should end up with 200g of bread.
- Ideally use slightly stale bread. If not let it dry out for a while.
- Pour the milk into a saucepan.
- Press a clove into each part of the onion.
- Place the onion quarters, bay leaves, peppercorns with the salt and bring to the mixture to its boiling point. Remove the pan from the heat immediately.
- Cover the pan and let the ingredients infuse for 30 minutes or more if you want.
- Once it has infused, put the pan on a very low heat.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the onions, peppercorns, cloves, and bay leaves.
- Add the bread to the saucepan and cook for about 15 minutes, stirring every now and then, by which time the sauce should have become thick and warm.
- Just before serving the bread sauce, add the butter to the saucepan and stir until the butter has melted and combined with the sauce and season.
- Add salt to taste and then add the cream for a rich bread sauce.
- Sprinkle over a grating of nutmeg and serve,