Bubble and Squeak is a simple method to avoid wasting food. You can use any cooked food to make bubble and squeak and with brown sauce it is divine. This is one of my go to recipes when I look at all of the left overs in the fridge. I always cook to much! Also this is a good method of getting my children to eat vegetables. Put the on a plate whole and they wont touch them. Mash them up and hey presto gone. I serve this dish with good old fashioned Ham and Eggs or my favourite Sausages and Onion Gravy.
Bubble and Squeak
- Heat half of the olive oil in a frying pan and cook the leeks for 4 minutes, or until softened but not coloured.
- Mix the leeks, mashed potato and cabbage together in a bowl.
- Season, to taste, with the salt and ground black pepper.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in the frying pan.
- Divide the mixture into equal amounts and shape them into patties. Place them into the pan.
- Cook until golden-brown on the bottom, turn the rings over carefully and cook on the other side.
- Remove from the pan and serve.