A lovely warming stew that is a hit every time.
Southern Ham Stew
- 2 cups black-eyed peas 500 ml
- 2 cups cooked ham 500 ml, diced
- 15 oz white hominy (pozole) 420 g can drained - Mexican soup or similar
- 10 oz okra chopped, 280 g
- 1 large onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 4 cups water 1 L
- 4 cups spinach 1 L, chop
- 15 oz stewed tomatoes with liquid 420 g can
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- salt to taste
- Combine all ingredients except the collard greens and tomatoes in the slow cooker.
- Cook covered on low heat for 8 to 10 hours, or on high heat for 4 to 5 hours.
- Stir in the collard greens and tomatoes and cook on high heat for 10 minutes.