When you want a soup but are fed up with the usual canned flavours. Then you need to try Chicken Noodle Soup. The flavours will knock your socks off. The body of this soup is amazing with the soft egg noodles and five different vegetables. These ingredients combine with the spices to create a soup that will satisfy even the hungriest of appetites. This dish resembles more of a full bodied stew than a soup. I normally serve this with just a loaf of home made Fresh Bread. This works superbly to mop up the last of the soup an make the bowl look washed already.
Chicken Noodle Soup
- Heat the butter/fat in a large pan and add the celery, carrots, onion and garlic.
- Cook, stirring, over a low-medium heat until the veg is soft but not coloured.
- Stir in the ginger and star anise, then cook a little longer.
- Pour in the stock, bring to the barest simmer and cook for 40 minutes
- Whilst the stock etc. is simmering, cook the noodles in boiling salted water until nearly al dente. Drain, run under warm water for a minute to wash off any starch and put to oneside.
- Taste the broth. If you can taste the ginger and star anise, it’s ready. If not, give it a few more minutes of gentle simmering.
- When the broth has achieved the flavour you want, add the shredded meat, the lemon juice to taste, then add plenty of salt.
- Simmer for a couple more minutes to heat the meat, then add the noodles and ladle into bowls. Sprinkle over the parsley and serve with lots of good bread.