This is the slow cooker version of the French classic. Coq au Vin has been around for decades if not longer and will continue to thrive. The deepness of the sauce with the bacon and red wine makes this instantly recognisable. Also, as the slow cooker is used, I have added a dozen small new potatoes to the mix for a full meal in a single dish. This will fill your house with a rich aroma, your mouth with a memorable flavours and your stomach with heaven. However, just remember that this main dish is easy to cook and “same time tomorrow?”
Coq au Vin
- 1 large chicken bitesize
- 8 oz button mushrooms 225 g
- 8 slices bacon chop and cook
- 12 small new potatoes
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour 60 ml
- 2 large onions sliced
- 6 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1/4 cup parsley 60 ml, chopped
- 1 cup chicken stock 250 ml
- 2 tbsp brandy 30 ml, optional
- 1 cup dry red wine 250 ml
- 1 whole bay leaf laurel
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme 2 ml
- Salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- Dredge the chicken pieces in flour and place in the slow cooker.
- Add the remaining ingredients in the order listed.
- Cook covered on low heat for 6 to 8 hours, until the chicken is tender and the juices run clear when pierced with a skewer..