- Stir together the yeast, sugar, and water in a small bowl and allow to proof for 10 minutes.
- Sift together the flour and salt in a mixing bowl and stir in the yeast mixture, milk, egg, and 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of melted butter.
- Beat vigorously until the batter is smooth.
- Allow to rise until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
- Heat a small amount of butter in a large skillet over moderate heat, and butter the insides of the ring moulds.
- Place the ring molds in the skillet and pour about 1 tablespoonful (15 ml) of the batter into each ring.
- Remove the rings when the crumpets begin to bubble and the bottoms start to brown.
- Turn the crumpets over and brown the other side.
- Serve immediately with butter, jams, or marmalade.