Grilled Glazed Mackerel is a superb recipe that perfectly blends Mackerel with Asian flavours. The chili, soy sauce and dark sugar makes such a subtle marinade and sauce you will be amazed. It is a recipe that I use again and again. I normally serve these with simple steamed bok choy, green beans and new potatoes for a highly satisfying dish. I always allow two fillets per person with side dishes. Another popular Mackerel recipe is Fish in Foil. When you buy you fresh fish look for a bright eye and shiny skin is an indication of its freshness. A mackerel should be firm to the touch. When really fresh Mackerel won’t droop if held horizontally by the head.
Grilled Glazed Mackerel
- Score the mackerel fillets to let the flavour get in and place them in a shallow dish.
- Cover with the lime zest and juice, and let marinate for 5-10 mins.
- Place the sauce ingredients in a pan with a splash of water and slowly bring to a simmer.
- Cook for 5 mins and allow to thicken slightly, then remove from the heat and set aside.
- Turn the grill to high and place the mackerel on a greased baking tray, skin side up.
- Sprinkle the fillets with the olive oil and some sea salt, then grill for 5 mins until the flesh is opaque and cooked through.
- Place the mackerel fillets on a warm plate and pour the sauce over and serve with a wedge of lime.