Chicken Flautas are simple but so tasty chicken tortilla wraps. The fried tortilla with sautéed onions, garlic and picante sauce make this such a superb main dish. This recipe will become a frequent item in your kitchen. The frying of the ingredients gives this recipe a superb texture and flavours that other tortillas don’t quite achieve. I serve these with several dips including Guacamole, Salsa and Sour Cream. These simple recipes help to turn an excellent dish into a perfect dish. I have classed these as a main dish. However, I have made these as a snack after a long dog walk with the children and grandchildren.
- Heat the butter in a skillet over moderate heat and saute the onion and garlic until tender but not brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add the shredded chicken and salsa and simmer until heated through.
- Meanwhile, heat about 1/2 inch (1 cm) of vegetable oil in a skillet over moderate heat and, using tongs, fry each tortilla for about 3 to 5 seconds, just enough to soften them.
- Drain on paper towels and place about 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of the chicken mixture on each tortilla, rolling them tightly to form thin, cigar-shaped rolls.
- Place seam side down in a shallow baking dish and bake in a preheated 400F (200C) oven until crisp, about 20 minutes.
- Serves garnished with sour cream, salsa, and/or guacamole of desired.