Crab au Gratin is a simple taste of the Carolinas. Furthermore, they are often served in scallop shells and both look and taste amazing.
Crab au Gratin
- Heat half the butter in a saucepan over moderate heat and saute the scallions for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the flour and cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the cream and bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the sherry and remove from the heat.
- Stir in the crab meat, Parmesan, salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Pour the mixture into a lightly greased baking dish or 4 to 6 lightly greased ramekins.
- Heat the remaining butter in a skillet over moderate heat and stir in the bread crumbs.
- Sprinkle the grated cheese over the crab mixture and top with the crumbs.
- Bake in a preheated 400F (200C) oven until the cheese has melted and the filling is bubbling, about 15 minutes.