Southwestern Marinara Sauce is a simple sauce that packs taste, flavour, texture and aromas to any pasta dish. Serve with meatballs for a superb meal. The simple recipe utilises the best out of the tomatoes, bacon and garlic. However, it also includes the surprise of zucchini and corn kernels for additional flavour and textures.
Southwestern Marinara Sauce
- Prepare pasta according to package directions; drain.
- Cook bacon in a medium, non-reactive (non-aluminum) saucepan over medium-high heat until it has browned lightly. Pour off any excess fat.
- Add onions, garlic and zucchini and saute over medium heat until soft, about 8 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and break up with a fork. Add corn and salsa. Bring to a simmer and cook slowly for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Toss sauce with cooked pasta and serve immediately.