Bo Luc Lac is a cubed beef sautéed with cucumber, tomatoes, red onion, pepper, and soy sauce dish. This dish is French-inspired Vietnamese cuisine. Also Bo Luc Lac includes fish sauce, sesame oil, oyster sauce and Lime juice creating a marinade that is superb. This is the basis of this main dish that works so well. When served on a warm bed of aromatic Pilau Rice with Beef Pho you will end up with a meal full of flavour, texture and aroma. This has been classed as “Easy” to produce and I must admit I can do it. Highly recommend this recipe for taste, ease, flavour, aroma and satisfaction.
Bo Luc Lac
- 1.5 lbs beef sirloin 1 inch cubes
- 2 tbs garlic minced
- 1.5 tbs sugar
- 2 tbs oyster sauce
- 1 tbs fish sauce
- 1 tbs sesame oil
- 1 ts soy sauce
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 1.5 tbs sugar
- 1/2 tbs Salt
- Dipping Sauce:
- 1 large lime juice only
- 1/2 ts kosher salt
- 1/2 ts pepper fresh cracked
- 1 red onion thinly sliced
- 2 bunch watercress trimmed
- 2 tomatoes thinly sliced
- Make the marinade by combining garlic, oyster sauce, sugar, fish sauce, thick soy sauce and sesame oil with the beef for at least half an hour, preferably 1-2 hrs.
- Prepare vinaigrette by mixing rice vinegar with salt and sugar. It should be a balance of sour, salty and sweet.
- Thinly slice the red onion and use about 3-4 tbs of the vinaigrette to pickle and set aside covered in fridge for about 10 minutes. Prepare bed of watercress and tomatoes in a serving platter and set aside.
- Heat a large wok or pan over high heat.
- Add about 2 tbs cooking oil and when it begins to smoke, add an even layer of beef and allow to sear for about 2 minutes, before “shaking” to sear the opposite sides for about another 1-2 minute more to brown all the sides.
- Do this in batches to cook all the beef if necessary.
- Transfer beef to bed of watercress and tomatoes. Drizzle another 3-4 tbs of vinaigrette over the beef and greens and top with pickled red onions.
- Lastly, squeeze lime juice over salt and pepper in a small ramekin.