This one-pot classic dish for chicken paprikash (some call it chicken paprika) combines five key Hungarian ingredients. They are onions, green and red bell peppers, tomatoes, paprika and sour cream. The recipe can be pulled together quickly, especially if the vegetables are prepped the night before. This recipe produces such a vivid colour and a flavour that will blow your socks off. Also the paprika gives a lovely warmth to the dish that makes this perfect on those cold autumnal days. I always serve this with fresh bread to mop up any sauce left over. The sauce is too good to leave.
Hungarian Chicken Paprikash
- 12 large chicken thighs skinless
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil 15 ml
- 1 large onion thinly sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper cored, seeded, and cut into strips
- 1 large green bell pepper cored, seeded, and cut into strips
- 4 tbsp paprika 60 ml
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour 15 ml
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or chicken stock 125 ml
- 15 oz diced tomatoes can (15 oz - 425 g) , drained
- 1/2 cup sour cream 125 ml
- parsley chopped
- salt to taste
- ground pepper to taste
- Season the chicken thighs liberally with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a large pot and, working in batches, lightly brown the chicken thighs on all sides.
- Remove the chicken to a plate and saute the onions in the same pot until tender but not browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the peppers and saute another 5 minutes.
- Add the paprika and flour and stir until the paprika becomes fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the wine and stir to scrape up the brown bits in the bottom of the pan.
- Stir in the tomatoes and return the chicken thighs and the accumulated juices to the pan, nestling them under the vegetables.
- Simmer tightly covered over low heat or bake in a 300F (150C) oven until the chicken is cooked through, about 30 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat and transfer the chicken thighs to a serving platter.
- Place the sour cream in a small bowl and stir into it some of the liquid in the pot.
- Add the sour cream mixture to the pot and stir to mix well.
- Spoon the sauce over the chicken and garnish with chopped parsley.