Classic Macaroni and Cheese is a classic American recipe that every household and eatery has served. The ingredients are simple, the instructions are easy but the result is amazing. The cheese on top of the pasta makes this a warming, filling and welcoming meal any time of the year. I live in the wilds of North Wales and this recipe has served the family and friends well on a lot of occasions. You can actually vary the flavour with different cheeses, add seafood to the dish such as lobster mac and cheese. I usually serve this with garlic bread or fresh homemade bread to mop up the delicious sauce.
Classic Macaroni and Cheese
- Saute the onions in 2 tablespoons (30 ml) of the butter in a large heavy saucepan over moderate heat until soft but not brown.
- Add the mustard, cheese, milk, salt, and pepper, and stir until the cheese is melted and the sauce is smooth.
- Stir in the cooked macaroni and pour the mixture into a buttered 3-quart (3 L) baking dish.
- Melt the remaining butter in a small saucepan and mix with the bread crumbs.
- Sprinkle the bread crumbs on top of the macaroni and cheese and bake in a preheated 375F (190C) oven for 25 to 30 minutes, until it is bubbling and brown.