Chicken, Bacon and Leek Pie is a staple meal in our house during the colder months. The warm comforting sauce covering the soft leeks and perfectly cooked chicken make this a hard dish to follow. Serving the pie with all butter puff pastry, it is a true delight that the whole family will enjoy. Adding mushrooms makes this dish go much further with little cost and served with minted peas makes this a family favourite. Served with a glass of chilled white wine for a main meal that is satisfying and ready in under an hour. I am a total amateur in the kitchen but dishes like this make me look good.
Chicken and Leek Pie
- Cut and wash the leeks into slices
- Clean and slice the mushrooms
- Slice the chicken breasts into mouth size pieces
- Melt butter in a large frying pan and add the leeks for 5 minutes until softened and coloured. Once cooked, remove from pan and place in warm bowl.
- Put the mushrooms into the frying pan. Add salt. Cook until soft and remove from pan.
- Sear the chicken breasts with a pinch of salt, until coloured and remove from pan. Drain excess oil.
- Put the chicken, leeks, mushrooms, condensed soup and single cream in the pan and simmer for about 15 mins to mix the flavours. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Whilst the ingredients are on simmer, butter the inside of a large glass bowl.
- Roll the pastry out on the flour to a slightly larger size than the bowl.
- Pour all of the contents on the pan into the glass bowl and add the pastry top. Trim the pastry to fit and add decoration to suit.
- Break an egg and baste the top of the pastry for colour. Put in a pre heated oven at 200 degress for 25 minutes until pastry is golden brown.
- Pour peas into a small pan of salted water and boil for 8-10 minutes or until cooked and serve with the pie.