Egg Drop and Zucchini Soup (Stracciatella alle Zucchine) is a wonderful soup with an amazing colour and flavour. A Zucchini (courgette) colour provides a warming and welcoming spin. Also this soup has a beaten egg dropped in at the last moment adding an additional burst of flavour. This is a lovely healthy dish being only 184Kcal. However, if you use vegetable stock instead of chicken and beef stock then you have a beautiful vegetarian soup.
Egg Drop and Zucchini Soup (Stracciatella alle Zucchine)
- 2 tbsp olive oil 30 ml
- 1/2 large onion finely chopped
- 1 1/2 lbs zucchini diced, 375 ml
- 1 1/2 cups beef stock 375 ml, can
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock 375 ml, can
- 1 cup water 250 ml
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese 60 ml, grated
- 1 tbsp parsley 15 ml, finely chopped
- 1/4 bunch basil 15 ml, finely chopped
- salt to taste
- ground pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large heavy soup pot over moderate heat.
- Sauté the onion and zucchini until lightly browned, about 15 minutes.
- Add the stocks and water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer covered for 20 minutes.
- Stir the remaining ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Immediately before serving, slowly pour the egg mixture into the simmering broth while stirring. Serve immediately.