I often turn the recipe upside down with the lettuce on the bottom and work upwards. This is in fact a meal on its own.
- 1 lb ground beef 450 g
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour 30 ml
- 2 tbsp chili powder 30 ml
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin 2 ml
- 1 1/2 cups water 375 ml
- 2-3 cups tortilla chips 500-750 ml
- 1/2 head iceberg lettuce shredded
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 cup cheddar cheese 250 ml, grated
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- 1 large avocado peeled, seeded, and diced
- 1/2 cup black olives 125 ml, sliced
- 1/4 cup jalapeño peppers sliced, 60 ml, pickled
- 1 cup ranch salad dressing 250 ml
- Saute the beef and garlic in a skillet over moderate heat until the meat is browned, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the flour, chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper.
- Add the water and simmer uncovered over low heat until the mixture has thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, arrange the tortilla chips on a large serving platter or individual plates and place the lettuce on top.
- Add the beef mixture followed by the remaining ingredients in the order listed.