Pasta with Amatrice Sauce is a simple meat free dish ideal for vegetarians. The sauce mixed with pasta for a refreshing healthy meal made from Italian plum tomatoes. The addition of chilli powder and paprika gives the sauce a lovely warmth and the main dish a new experience. This recipe can be adapted by adding balsamic vinegar for a background flavour. Also, sauces like Pasta with Amatrice Sauce prove that meals do not need to contain meat. I normally serve this with spaghetti. However, my grandchildren prefer Fusilli and Farfalle (bow ties). This sauce, like Pesto Genovese and Green Olive Pesto should also be tried and enjoyed.
Pasta with Amatrice Sauce
- 2 tbsp olive oil 30 ml
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1/4 cup dry white wine 60 ml,
- 28 oz Italian plum tomatoes drain/chop, 794 g,
- 1 tsp sugar 5 ml
- 1 tsp chili powder 5 ml
- 1 tsp paprika 5 ml
- 1 tsp dried basil 5 ml
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano 2 ml
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon 1 ml
- 1 lb dried pasta 450 g
- Parmesan cheese grated
- Salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat, and saute the garlic and onion for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until the onion is softened.
- Add the optional wine, tomatoes, and spices, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Ladle the sauce over the cooked pasta and serve with grated Parmesan cheese.