Rigatoni with Sausage and Peppers is a lovely filling recipe. The combination of sausage, peppers with rigatoni creates such a dish of flavours and textures. Naturally served as a main dish with garlic bread and grated parmesan cheese. Also this dish is ready in 40 minutes so ideal for feed hungry children.
Rigatoni with Sausage and Peppers
- 1 lb rigatoni or pasta shape of your choice, cooked according to package directions
- 4 tbsp olive oil 40 ml
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 1/2 lbs Italian sausage casing removed, crumbled, 450-675 g
- 1/4 cup dry white wine 60 ml
- 1/2 cup water 125 ml
- 1/2 tsp crushed fennel seeds 2 ml
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes 2 ml, this is optional but I love it.
- 1 large red bell peppers cored, seeded, and cut into thin strips, capsicums
- 1 large yellow bell peppers cored, seeded, and cut into thin strips, capsicums
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- Heat half the oil in a skillet over moderate heat and saute the onion and garlic until tender but not browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the sausage meat and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the wine and cook 1 minute before adding the water, fennel seeds, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper.
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a separate skillet and saute the bell peppers until tender and lightly browned, about 15 minutes.
- Add to the sausage mixture along with the cooked pasta and toss to combine.
- Grate fresh Parmesan cheese to garnish