Roasted Pork Belly with Apple is a lovely sticky recipe that is easy to produce. The apples and shallots melt into a glorious softness. In contrast the skin of the Pork Belly becomes crisp and crunchy. I serve this as a main dish, served on a bed of plain rice with the apple.
Roasted Pork Belly with Apple
- Using a sharp kitchen knife or Stanley knife, carefully score the pork belly skin at 1/2 inch intervals.
- DO NOT cut into the meat.
- Dry with kitchen towel/paper towel.
- I use a simple fennel and garlic marinade.
- Place a small frying pan over a high heat and add the fennel seeds for no more than 2 minutes. When fragrant, remove from the heat and pour into a mortar. Using the pestle, grind the seeds and add the garlic cloves.
- When ground into a dry paste, slowly add the oil and grind until you have a thick paste.
- Place the Pork Belly onto a large plate and rub the marinade into both the flesh side and the scored fat side. Place in the fridge to marinade, ideally overnight.
- Prior to cooking, remove the Pork from the fridge and allow to come to room temperature. Less of a shock to the meat.
- Preheat your oven to 220C/200C fan/ Gas 7.
- Grease a large roasting tin in preparation.
- In a small bowl, add the coriander and fennel seeds and a good pinch of sea salt and thoroughly mix.
- Place the pork skin-side up in roasting tin.
- Rub the coriander and fennel seed mix into the skin side of the pork.
- Cut the apples into 1/4’s together with the shallots and place in the pan with the pork. I add a little oil to the apples and shallots to help with the cooking.
- Place the roasting tin in the middle of the heated oven for 40 minutes or until skin starts to bubble
- Carefully remove the pork from oven and transfer the apples to a separate dish and put to one side.
- Reduce oven to 160°C and add the stock to the roasting tin.
- Return the pork to the oven and roast for a further 45 minutes OR until meat is cooked through and crackling is crisp and golden.
- Return the apples to pan for the final 5 minutes of cooking time just to heat through.
- When cooked, remove from the oven and cover loosely with foil to allow the pork to rest for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Place the pork onto a board and slice.
- Serve the pork on a bed of rice with the apples for a lovely tasty dish.
- Pour the resting juices over the dishes as it tastes amazing.