Sambar Vegetable Curry is a lentil based vegetarian curry that is really full of flavour with a lovely warmth. I have served this as a main and as a side dish, both with success. The combination of spices creates an amazing flavour and aroma that will have people queuing at your door to find out what’s cooking. You can add a lot of things in your larder such as sweetcorn, carrots etc. It all adds body. Served with a bowl of rice for a simple filling dish.
Sambar Vegetable Curry
- Place a large pan of 450ml of water over a high heat.
- Pour in the lentils to the pan,
- Add the tamarind and turmeric and bring to a boil.
- Boil for 25 – 30 minutes until the lentils are soft.
- While the lentils are cooking.
- Place a frying pan over a medium heat. When heated up, add the shallots and fry for about 10 minutes.
- Once the shallots are soft, add the spices, chillies, curry leaves and a pinch of salt.
- Stir to combine and cook for another 2 -3 minutes.
- Place another pan of water, this time salted over a high heat and bring to a boil.
- Add the green beans and boil for about 5 minutes.
- Once cooked, drain the green beans.
- When the lentils are full cooked, drain well.
- Add the shallot mixture and the green beans and stir well.
- Season if required.
- Serve hot as a side dish with chopped coriander as a garnish.