Slow Roasted Lamb
Everybody loves a classic Lamb recipe. It starts with the aroma that fills the house and results in mouth watering fall off the bone meal. One of my favourites.Print Facebook Pinterest Twitter Add to CollectionCollections
Servings: 12 people
- 2 kg shoulder of lamb
- 300 ml white wine
- 4 large bay leaves
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 12 cloves cloves unpeeled, halved
- 4 medium onions each cut into 3 thick crossway slices
- 200 ml lamb stock
- 4 tbsp clear honey
- 800 g Maris piper potatoes scrubbed, cut into 2 cm (3/4 inch) thick slices
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Add 2 tablespoons of the honey to a large plastic bag, add the wine, bay, rosemary and garlic and a generous sprinkle of salt and pepper and shake the bag to mix.
- Make small incisions with a knife at intervals over the lamb, add to the bag with the onions then seal the bag tightly and put the bag into a roasting tin.
- Chill for at least 3 - 4 hours or overnight is better in the fridge. Shake the bag gently and turn over every now and again to ensure that the marinade covers both sides of the lamb.
- Take the lamb out of the fridge 1 hour before cooking so that it can come back to room temperature.
- Lift the bag out of the roasting tin, add the potatoes to the tin then the onions from the marinade, pour the honey mix over and arrange the lamb on top.
- Pour the stock into the tin, cover with foil and twist over the edges of the tin.
- Roast in a pre-heated oven 160oC/325oF/Gas Mark 3 for 2 1/2 hours.
- Remove the foil from the pan, spoon the cooking juices over the lamb, onions and potatoes then drizzle the lamb with the remaining honey.
- Cook uncovered for 30 minutes until the lamb is a deep golden and the meat is almost falling off the bone.
- When ready to serve carve the lamb into thick slices and add to a serving plate or shallow bowl with the potatoes, onions and cooking juices.
- Enjoy. This is worth the wait.
Calories: 601kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 39g | Fat: 38g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 5g | Monounsaturated Fat: 15g | Cholesterol: 153mg | Sodium: 503mg | Potassium: 763mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 7g