I first had Spanish Garlic Shrimp – Gambas al Ajillo years ago on holiday. Every time I go back, it is the first thing I order. It is actually remarkably simple to make at home for which the children have been guinea pigs. It has been one of Spain’s most popular tapas. Even I can make it as it fast, simple and full of shrimp being sautéed in garlic. Also, in Spain a lot of recipes add a drop or two of Brandy and a gentle sprinkle of cayenne pepper. However, one of the best things about this recipe is that it can be a starter or a main course or for my view point both!!! Just make sure you have a lot of home made bread available to dunk in the excellent sauce.
Spanish Garlic Shrimp - Gambas al Ajillo
- Heat the oil in a saute pan over moderate heat.
- Add the whole cloves of garlic and cook until golden.
- Add the shrimp and cook, turning frequently, until firm and opaque.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
- Bring to the table while still bubbling.