Black Bean Soup is a true filling and tasty meal. For even more body, I cook a ham hock in with the soup and shred it. The flavour is amazing. I have used this a a main dish, side dish and snack. Also, it can be made in advance and stored in the fridge.
Black Bean Soup
- 8 cups chicken beef, or vegetable stock, 1.5-2 L
- 2 cups dried black beans 500 ml
- 1 large smoked ham hock optional
- 1 large onion chopped
- 6 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 3 large carrots sliced
- 3 ribs celery sliced
- 2 tsp ground cumin 10 ml
- 2 tsp dried oregano 10 ml
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper or to taste (optional), 1 ml
- sour cream
- chopped tomatoes
- Prepared salsa
- chopped cilantro coriander leaves
- Diced avocado
- Combine all ingredients in the slow cooker and cook covered on low heat for 9 to 10 hours.
- Remove the ham hock, shred the meat, and return the meat to the soup before serving.
Diced avocado at room temperature To make it vegetarian just leave out the ham hock.