Sweet and Sour Pork – Mema’s Style is a version of the classic Chinese recipe. This dish has to be one of the most ordered take away meal around. However, when you have tried this recipe, you will not order it again. This main dish recipe combines the essential elements of a perfect dish; flavour, aroma and appearance. The pineapple, lime juice, soy sauce and shaoxing rice wine make a sauce that is hard to beat. Adding red and green bell peppers for body and another lovely texture. For those who are interested, Mema was the lovely lady from school who broke the rules by cooking lovely Chinese food.
Sweet and Sour Pork - Mema's Style
- For the pork, place the roasted peanuts, a few pinches of ground pepper and the dried chillies into a food processor and pulse until coarsely ground.
- Transfer to a shallow bowl and set aside.
- Place the pork steaks in between two sheets of cling film and, using a meat mallet or rolling pin, bash the pork steaks until halved in thickness.
- Roll the steaks in the soya bean mixture until well-coated, then pat lightly to secure the mixture to the meat, shaking off any excess.
- Heat a wok until smoking and add the groundnut oil, then add the pork steaks and cook for 2-3 minutes on both sides, or until golden-brown and cooked through.
- Remove the steaks from the wok transfer to a warm plate to rest.
- For the sweet and sour sauce, place all of the sauce ingredients into a food processor and blend to a smooth paste.
- Pour the sweet and sour sauce into the wok used to cook the pork and leave to simmer for 1-2 minutes, or until the sauce has reduced to a thick consistency.
- Season, to taste, with light soy sauce, rice wine and ground white pepper.
- To serve, pour the sauce over the pork and serve with rice and choi sum.