Avocado and Poached Egg on Toast is a lovely British meal. Whether it be for breakfast, brunch or lunch but always as the main dish. Having a soft poached egg on top of smooth avocado and toast creates a superb contrast of flavours and textures. It is filling without being heavy so ideal for those busy days. I love a bit of heat so add a few drops of chilli sauce for the extra kick. Sliced radish has been added for a colour and texture but tomatoes roasted in the oven or pan fried are alternatives.
Avocado and Poached Egg on Toast
- Place a large pan of water over a high heat and bring to the boil.
- Once boiling, add the vinegar to the water. (it helps with the formation of the poached eggs.)
- Whilst the water is boiling, cut the avocados in half. Carefully remove the stone and scoop out the flesh.
- Add the avocado flesh into a small mixing bowl and add the lime juice, pinch of salt and a little hot sauce.
- Use the back of a fork to crush the avocado until it is the consistency you enjoy.
- Place the sliced bread into the toaster of under a grill and toast to your preference.
- The water should be boiling by now and the vinegar added. using a spoon swirl the water to create a little funnel and add the eggs to the pan.
- Allow them to poach for about 3 minutes so the white is set but the yolk still runny.
- when poached, remove from the pan using a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
- The toast should be ready so butter if needed and then add the crushed avocado to each pieces evenly spreading it out.
- Top with a poached egg on each piece of toast and season with ground pepper. You have already added salt to the avocado so test before adding any more.
- Add a little more hot sauce on the egg for additional heat.
- Serve immediately and enjoy.