Classic deep rich recipe that always goes down well.Print Facebook Pinterest Twitter Add to CollectionCollections
Servings: 6 people
- Tip the beef into a large bowl with the bay leaves, thyme, wine and some pepper, then cover and leave in the fridge overnight.
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6.
- Strain the marinated meat, keeping the wine.
- Heat half the oil in a large frying pan and brown the beef in batches.
- When completed, pour a little wine into the empty frying pan and bubble to release any caramelised bits from the pan.
- Heat the rest of the oil in a large casserole and fry the carrots, mushrooms and chopped shallots until they start to colour.
- Stir in the flour for 1 min, then add the tomato purée.
- Add the beef and any juices, the wine from the frying pan and the rest of the wine and herbs. Season and bring to a simmer. Give everything a good stir, then cover.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 2 hrs until the meat is really tender.
- Serve with parsley and mashed potatoes.
Calories: 1188kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 104g | Fat: 74g | Saturated Fat: 26g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 7g | Monounsaturated Fat: 31g | Cholesterol: 304mg | Sodium: 2173mg | Potassium: 1486mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g