Mums Coq au Vin is a memory of good times. The aroma fills the house with such a welcome whilst the flavour and texture is perfect. Served as a main dish on a bed of rice for a filling meal. There will be a queue asking for more of this lovely French dish. I use shallots and garlic for additional body with a hit of red wine and chicken stock creating a sauce that is hard to beat. Also, I have made this casserole in advance and reheated it later in the day.
Mums Coq au Vin
- In a frying pan over a high heat, add a little oil and then the chicken in portions to brown the meat.
- Remove the browned chicken from the frying pan and put to one side.
- Add the shallots, bacon, thyme, rosemary and garlic into the casserole dish and cook until browned.
- When the shallots, bacon etc are browned sprinkle the flour over the mixture.
- Pour in the wine and reduce the heat to medium until it has reduce in volume by half.
- Add 500ml of chicken stock to the casserole dish.
- Still on a medium heat, add the chicken to the casserole dish and allow to simmer for about 45 minutes. Make sure the lid is on but at an angle to avoid pressure build up. I use a wooden spoon laid across the pan to prop it open.
- At this stage, taste the sauce to make sure it is perfect. Season if required.
- Put the mushrooms and lardons in a small frying pan and brown with a little butter.
- When brown, add to the chicken and sauce.
- Serve in warmed dishes with a sprinkle of chopped parsley.