My Strawberry Jam is a simple recipe that works every year. I use the strawberries from my garden or visit a local pick you own farm for best value and flavour. Making your own jams is so easy that even I can do it. They also make lovely gifts as the jam can be decorated with tops and labels. homemade jam on Homemade Bread is perfection.
My Strawberry Jam
- Place a small dish/saucer into the fridge to cool.
- Wipe the strawberries with a damp cloth to remove any dirt. Don’t wash them as they will absorb water and ruin your jam.
- Remove the hull of the strawberry, the middle core part. Slice the strawberry in halves or quarters depending on their size.
- Place the strawberries into a large bowl and pour over the sugar.
- Mix well trying not to break up the fruit.
- Place in the fridge for a few hours to help the sugar dissolve easier.
- When ready, add the strawberries and sugar mix to a large pan and add the lemon juice.
- Stir over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved.
- Once dissolved, bring to a boil for 5 – 7 minutes.
- To test whether the jam is at setting point, remove the small dish/saucer from the fridge and spoon a little of the jam onto it. Leave it for a minute and using your finger gently push the jam. If it flows straight back its not ready but if it separates and doesn’t flow straight back then it is ready.
- When at setting point, turn off the heat and allow to cool for about 10 – 15 minutes.
- Carefully spoon into sterilized jars, add a lid of parchment paper to cover the top of the jam. Put on the lid and tighten.