A positive addition to any Indian meal. This is the plain naan bread recipe but there are a lot of other flavours on this site. Take a look and take a pick. A vegetarian necessity of any Indian meal. This recipe is quick and easy and can be flavoured with any herbs you want. Ready within 10 minutes and totally yum! The variety of this recipe is that you can add garlic or garlic and coriander. Also substitute an amount of milk for coconut milk and you have another flavour. The softness of the naan is ideal to soak up the sauces and juices. Who needs or wants a spoon when you can have a naan.
Naan Bread (Plain)
- In a small bowl, mix the yeast and sugar with a tablespoon of warm water to activate.
- Leave for 5 minutes in a warm place until frothy.
- Meanwhile, in a separate bowl mix the flour, onion seeds, salt and baking powder. When the yeast is frothy add it to the flour with the oil and yoghurt.
- Knead the dough with slightly wet hands folding as you go. If it feels a little dry add some milk and continue to knead. Once it's nice and soft cover with cling film and leave it in a warm place to rise for at least 1 hour (but longer if possible).
- Turn the grill on to heat up and divide the dough into four balls and place on a floured surface. Roll each into a tear shape about 0.5cm / ¼ inch thick.
- Heat the frying pan and place the naan onto it for a couple of seconds to brown on one side.
- Transfer to a baking tray (seared side down) and place under the hot grill for 2-5 minutes and watch the magic as they puff up.
- Smear with butter