Sausage and Pepper Stir Fry is a versatile main dish combining Chinese and Italian ingredients. No surprise they work so well together. I slice the sausages in advance of cooking to absorb more of the superb sauce. The Hoisin Sauce, honey and Sesame Oil sauce can be used with chicken and pork as well to great success. A sprinkling of toasted sesame seeds add the finishing touch to a perfect dish.
Sausage and Pepper Stir Fry
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 8 large Italian sausages
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 large onions chopped
- 4 cloves garlic chopped finely
- 1 large sweet red pepper deseed and sliced into bitesize chunks
- 1 large yellow sweet pepper deseed and sliced into bitesize chunks
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds toasted
- pepper to taste
- salt to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan/wok.
- Slice the sausages on the diagonal
- Add the onions and garlic to the pan and fry until they turn golden brown.
- Add the sausages and cook until the are nearly done.
- Combine hoisin sauce, honey, and sesame oil in a small bowl and mix well.
- Add sauce to the pan and allow to get up to temperature
- Add peppers and seasoning.
- Stir or toss the pan constantly to ensure equal cooking.
- Cook until the peppers are soft and tender and the sauce has thickened.
- Serve on a bed of steamed rice for a perfect balance.