Vegetable Chilli is a lovely variation of a traditional chilli. Using onions, red pepper, courgettes, mushrooms and carrots for body, texture and amazing flavour. I make this in advance and keep it in the fridge for up to a few days. Served as a vegetarian main dish, it is a winner even with meat lovers.
- 2 tsp sunflower oil
- 3 medium onions finely chopped
- 1 large red pepper finely chopped
- 150 g carrots finely chopped
- 1 large courgette finely chopped
- 100 g mushrooms finely chopped
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 800 g chopped tomatoes tinned
- 400 g lentils in water tinned
- 400 g mixed beans in water tinned
- 1 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onions and cook until they start to brown.
- Add the red pepper, carrots, courgette and mushrooms, and cook a further 10 minutes.
- Next, add the chilli powder, cumin, oregano and tomatoes.
- Mix well, then cook for a further 10 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add the lentils and beans with their water, ketchup, sugar and salt.
- Mix well and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Add a lid and simmer gently for 30 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Serve with rice and/or crackers.