Tuna Mornay is a single dish that packs everything you need. It is quick to produce, filling and so tasty – what more do you need? The tuna pasta bake has a lovely white sauce mixed with cheddar cheese for extra body and gooeyness. Furthermore, all of my children and grandchildren love this recipe as it is hard to resist. It is one of the easiest recipes that children will eat with a simple salad. An easy method to get fruit and vegetables into youngsters. For a little variety, change the topping from breadcrumbs to crisps, Potato chips, corn flakes or other cereal or a dose of parmesan for a crunchy top.
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / Gas 4.
- Bring a pan of lightly salted water to the boil.
- Add the pasta and cook until tender, about 8 minutes. Drain.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir in the flour until smooth. (Béchamel Sauce)
- Gradually mix in milk so that no lumps form.
- Stir constantly until the mixture boils, then mix in half of the cheese.
- Add the peas, sweetcorn and pasta.
- Drain the tuna, leaving a small amount of liquid to keep it moist.
- Break up the tuna and stir into the cheese mixture.
- Transfer to a casserole dish and top with the remaining cheese.
- Sprinkle breadcrumbs over the cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes in the preheated oven, until sauce is bubbly and cheese is browned.