Breakfast scones are a delight to cook and especially eat. Mix and match the ham with bacon or pulled ham hock, use fresh tomatoes instead of sun dried. The choices are endless. Try using other types of cheese too. Get your bake on and have fun making these Breakfast Scones with your children and grandchildren. These are great to make in advance for an on-the-go breakfast when you are short on time. Also, the first time I made these there was moaning at but as soon they tried them – no more moaning. One of those dishes your children and/or grandchildren can help make.
- Preheat the oven to 220oC, gas mark 7.
- Sift the flours and baking powder in a bowl.
- Add the butter and rub in with your fingers to resemble breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the ham, half the cheese, all but 1 tbsp of tomatoes and the chives, season.
- Mix in the milk to form a soft dough.
- Roll out to 2cm thick on a floured work surface and using a 6cm round cutter, cut out 8 scones, placing them on a baking tray.
- Sprinkle over the remaining cheese and chopped tomatoes.
- Bake for 10 minutes until golden.