Cheese and Bacon Pasta is a warming welcoming delight. Full of flavour and texture and ready within 15 minutes. A simple dish of onions, garlic, bacon, cheese and pasta with a little milk. I like to use rigatoni for this recipe as the sauce sticks to it perfectly. However any pasta works with this dish. Most item you will have in you larder and fridge already. I serve this as a main dish normally but also as a special snack for me or when the children pop round.
Cheese and Bacon Pasta
- Place a frying pan over a medium to high heat. Add the streaky bacon and cook until lovely and brown.
- Place a large pan of salted water on a high heat and bring to the boil.
- Remove the bacon and pat off any excess fat. Slice into small pieces for later.
- Add the rigatoni to the boiling water and cook according to the packet instructions.
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas 4.
- When the pasta has cooked, drain it. Place a mug under the colander to catch some of the starchy pasta water.
- Using the same frying pan as you used for the bacon, add the chopped onion and garlic and saute until translucent.
- Remove from the heat and add the bacon. Leave to one side for now.
- In a separate frying pan, add the butter over a low heat. When melted add the flour and stir constantly for at least 2 minutes.
- Slowly add the milk to the flour and butter and continue to stir until everything has thickened into a lovely sauce.
- Add about 2/.3rds of the grated cheese and stir again until melted.
- Finally rub a little butter around a 2 ltr oven dish.
- Add the cooked pasta, the onion, garlic and bacon mix and then the sauce all over. Combine thoroughly and top with the final 1/3rd of grated cheese.
- Place in the preheated oven until the cheese has melted and the top is starting to brown. Should be about 15 minutes or so.
- Serve in warmed dishes immediately with a light salad and/or garlic bread.