Why have the usual burger when you can have cheesy chicken rolls? This is so easy to prepare and the result is amazing. I use mayonnaise and spice it up with a little mustard. Also the chicken can be both grilled and on the bbq making it ideal as a main dish all year round.
Cheesy Chicken Rolls
- Pre heat the grill to high
- First a bit of violence, also called tenderising. Place the chicken breasts between two sheets of parchment paper. With a tender hammer or rolling pin, strike the breasts until they are reduced in thickness by half.
- Pull the bread into chunks and put into a food processor. Whizz the bread until they become breadcrumbs.
- When whizzed, pour some into a wide bowl.
- Crack the egg into a separate bowl and whisk until beaten. Add half of the mustard and whisk again until combined.
- Messy part.
- Dip the chicken breasts into the beaten egg shaking off any excess then dunk it into the breadcrumbs.
- Add more breadcrumbs to the dish if needed. Any left over can be stored in an airtight container.
- Slice the red onion and gherkins into thin slices and put to one side for toppings.
- Add the breasts onto a slightly oiled baking tray to avoid sticking.
- Place under the grill for 5 minutes then remove and turn over. Place back under the grill for another 5 minutes. The chicken should be fully cooked and golden brown.
- Remove from the grill and add the slices of cheese and return under the grill for a minute or two for the cheese to melt.
- Place the buns under the grill quickly to warm but not bake at the same time as the cheese.
- Add the other half of the mustard into the mayonnaise and thoroughly mix. in a serving bowl.
- I serve with the mayonnaise spread on the bottom part of the bun, added the cheesed breast topping with the gherkins and onions and another dollop of mustard mayonnaise.