Spanish Shellfish Stew - Zarzuela de Mariscos
Amazingly tasty seafood dish From Catalonia in Northeast Spain.Print Facebook Pinterest Twitter Add to Collection
Servings: 6 people
- 18 large mussels debearded,rinsed
- 18 large clams rinsed
- 1 lb firm white fish such as swordfish boneless and skinless, cut into chunks, 450 g
- 1/4 cup olive oil 60 ml
- 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper deseeded, and chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper deseeded, and chopped
- 1/2 cup cooked ham 125 ml, chopped
- 4 large ripe tomatoes chopped
- 1 whole bay leaf laurel
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano 2 ml
- 2 cups fish stock bottled clam juice, or water, 500 ml
- 1/2 cup dry Sherry 125 ml
- 1/2 cup dry white wine 125 ml
- 3-4 saffron threads crushed (optional but traditional)
- fresh parsley garnish chopoed
- Lime or lemon wedges garnish
- Heat the oil in a large heavy pot over moderate heat and saute the garlic, onion, bell pepper, and ham until the onions are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, bay leaf, and oregano and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Add the fish, stock, sherry, wine, saffron, salt, and pepper and bring to a boil uncovered over high heat.
- Add the mussels and clams and cook covered for 6 to 8 minutes.
- Discard any mussels or clams that don't open and serve garnished with chopped parsley and lime wedges.
Calories: 265kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 41mg | Sodium: 396mg | Potassium: 383mg | Fiber: 0.2g | Sugar: 2g