Chicken and Andouille Gumbo
This is a lovely Southern recipe full of flavour and memories.Print Facebook Pinterest Twitter Add to CollectionCollections
Servings: 6 people
- 1 cup all-purpose flour 250 ml
- 1 tsp Salt 5 ml
- 1 tsp garlic powder 5 ml
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper or to taste, 5 ml
- 2 lbs chicken pieces 900 g
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil 125 ml
- 1 cup onions 250 ml, diced
- 1 cup green bell peppers 250 ml, diced
- 1/2 cup celery 125 ml, diced
- 6 cups chicken stock 1.5 L
- 1/2 lb andouille 225 g , diced
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- Cooked rice
- Combine the flour, salt, garlic powder, and cayenne in a plastic or paper bag.
- Toss the chicken pieces in the mixture until thoroughly coated.
- Remove the chicken from the bag and reserve 1/2 cup (125 ml) of the flour mixture.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over high heat and fry the chicken until browned on all sides and cooked through, about 8 to 10 minutes per side.
- Remove the chicken and set aside.
- Add the reserved flour mixture to the skillet and cook, stirring up the brown bits on the bottom of the pan, until the flour is dark brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add the chopped onions, bell peppers, and celery and cook over low heat until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring the chicken stock to a boil in a large pot.
- Add the vegetable mixture gradually, stirring constantly.
- Add the andouille and garlic and simmer uncovered over low heat for 30 to 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the chicken meat from the bones and cut into 1/2-inch (1 cm) pieces.
- Stir the chicken into the gumbo and adjust the seasoning immediately before serving.
- To serve, place a small amount of cooked rice in individual serving bowls and ladle the gumbo over it.
A superb reminder of the southern appetite of warming food with a kick of spice.
Sodium: 1388mg | Sugar: 2g | Fiber: 2g | Potassium: 215mg | Cholesterol: 132mg | Calories: 587kcal | Monounsaturated Fat: 6g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Fat: 32g | Protein: 49g | Carbohydrates: 25g